Places of Interest
Below are links of various places of interest, resources and activities on the island.
From the west coast of Scotland, there are 3 routes onto the island:
- Via bridge from Kyle of Lochalsh (now toll free).
- Via ferry from Glenelg.
- Ferry from Mallaig to Armadale crossing (winter timetable).
- Ferry from Mallaig to Armadale crossing (summer timetable).
- Skye Car Hire – Kyle of Lochalsh, Tel 01599 534323.
- The busy routes are covered by the Citylink services between Kyleakin, Broadford, Portree and Uig.
- Rapsons (Highland Country Buses) operate other local routes including Armadale-Kyleakin, Portree-Dunvegan and many more.
- Local bike hire is available from Island Cycles in Portree and Uig Campsite.
Tourist Information Centres
- PORTREE – Bayfield House, Bayfield Road, Portree, Isle of Skye, IV51 9EL Tel 01478 612137.
- BROADFORD – The Car Park, Broadford, Isle of Skye, IV49 9AB Tel 01471 822361.
Adventures & Places to Visit
- Whats on Skye – Definitive un-official visitor guide to events and what's on Skye.
- The Skye Guide – The independent guide to the Isle of Skye.
- North Skye – North Skye, Trotternish peninsula & Raasay.
- Aros Centre – The best of Scottish music, books, culture and heritage in Portree. Very good on a rainy day.
- The Internet Guide to Scotland – Scottish sightseeing and lots more.
- Dunvegan Castle – Stronghold of the Chiefs of MacLeod for nearly 800 years.
- The Isle of Skye Brewing Company – Old fashioned beer from this Skye brewery.
- Talisker Distillery – A brief history of the famous whisky distillery in Carbost, Skye.
- Edinbane Pottery – Specialists in both woodfired and salt glazed pottery.
- SkyeSkyns – Skyeskyns, manufacturers and suppliers of finest quality sheepskins, is a family business established on the Isle of Skye in 1983.
- The Skye Museum of Island Life – Thatched croft houses depicting life on the Isle of Skye in times gone by.
- Bella Jane Boat Trips – No visit to the Isle of Skye is complete without a trip on the award winning Bella Jane in Elgol.
- Misty Isle Boat Trips – The Misty Isle sails twice daily from Elgol, everyday except Sunday from April to October.
- Spindrift Boat Trips – Boat trips start from Portree Harbour and visit the Isle of Rona and the Isle of Raasay.
Climbing & Walking
- WalkHighlands – Walkhighlands offers your complete free online guide to this stunning island.
- Wilderness Scotland – Specialist tour operator offering walking, sailing and adventure holidays and tailor-made experiences in the most remote and beautiful regions of Scotland.
- Climb Skye – Professional mountain guide for the Cuillin and Isle of Skye.
- Isle of Skye Wildlife Tours – One day tours of the dramatic Isle of Skye.
- Aquaxplore – Whale and Dolphin watching boat trips.
- Whalespotting.co.uk – Whales and dolphins, boat trips around Skye and west coast of Scotland.
- Skye Birds – A birding guide to the Island of Skye.
- The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust – Caring for Scotland’s whales, dolphins and seals.